Salix Finance are an independent, not-for-profit organisation who provide 100% interest-free capital for the public sector to reduce their energy costs by enabling the installation of modern, energy efficient technologies. Funded by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, the Department for Education, the Welsh Government and the Scottish Government, Salix Finance removes the barrier of upfront capital to the public sector.
To date, Salix has funded over 17,000 projects with 2,300 public sector organisations, valued at £742m. This is estimated to save the public sector over £164m and reduce public sector CO2 emissions by 788,272 tonnes annually.
Salix funding is available for all public sector organisations and across their whole estates, including schools, higher and further educational institutions, emergency services, hospitals, leisure centres, local authorities, the NHS.
Sectors where Dextra Group can assist with Salix application
- Emergency services
- Further & Higher education
- Local authorities
- Parish & Town Councils
- NHS Trusts & Foundation Trusts
- Schools & Academies
Eligible Area Examples
- Communal areas of social housing
- Council offices and operational buildings
- Depots and warehouses
- External building lighting and floodlighting
- Leisure and sports centres
- Monument and other spotlighting
- Museums, galleries and theatres
- Schools and academies
- Public transport shelter and footpath lighting
- Parks and playgrounds
- Street lighting
- Traffic lights, ornate lighting, bollards, controls and central management systems
Salix Energy Efficiency Loan Scheme (SEELS)
- Loan repaid in 5 years (upto 8 years in Wales and Scotland)
- The cost of CO2e must be less than £172 per tonne over the lifetime of the project
- Funding can be used to replace or improve existing equipment
- Enhance equipment in new builds to achieve higher standards
- Support for Carbon Management Plans or as part of wider refurbishment works
- Finance can be secured for multiple years to support long term strategies
Strict SEELS funding criteria applies but Dextra Group are able to assist with providing information for client applications.
Academy Funding – (SEEF) & (CIF)
Academies can access funding through two streams: the Salix Energy Efficiency Fund (SEEF) and the Condition Improvement Fund (CIF):
SEEF – The DfE provide interest-free loan funding via the SEEF programme for energy efficiency projects. This is to help modernise buildings and save money. SEEF provides financing for applicants with projects which are solely focused on energy efficiency. Applications open once a year and are made directly to Salix. The interest-free financing is paid and repaid to the DfE.
CIF – The DfE provide funding through the CIF programme for any building condition improvement works. Where there is no energy efficiency savings, this funding is provided in the form of a grant. If there is an energy efficiency aspect to the project, an interest-free loan from the DfE can be applied for as part of a CIF bid. This improves the value-for-money score (an assessment criterion of CIF funding). CIF opens for applications once a year – typically between October and December. Please note CIF is not open to large Multi-Academy Trusts.